Altadena, located at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains, is rich in history and boasts a vibrant and diverse population. Many of its homes are considered architectural gems of the Victorian, Craftsman, and Mediterranean Revival eras. Altadena is also a haven for nature lovers who can enjoy the many hiking trails and picnic areas of the Eaton Canyon Natural Area and other popular spots with abundant local wildlife and native plants.
But Altadena is also an area where keeping properties healthy and weed-free can be challenging. For beautiful lawns and gardens that you can be proud of, Aerations Plus provides lawn care in Altadena with top-of-the-line equipment, high-quality work and customer service, and more than 25 years of experience in the field. Contact us today to find out more.
What Causes Weeds To Grow In Altadena
Weeds can be a nightmare for many homeowners, especially in areas like Altadena, where they can grow uncontrollably without the proper prevention strategies. Some of the factors that cause weeds to thrive include the following:
- The Mediterranean climate: Wet winters and consistently hot summers provide the perfect environment for weeds to take over.
- The type of soil: Altadena has moisture-retaining soil rich in clay and loam that encourages weeds to grow even when the weather is dry.
- Improper gardening techniques: You could unknowingly encourage weeds to grow by overusing fertilizer, mulching incorrectly, and more.
- Improper pest control strategies: It is possible to cause weeds to grow by overusing pesticides.
Keeping weeds at bay can be challenging, but with our top-rated lawn treatment services, you can have a beautiful lawn and garden while at the same time conserving water and spending less. Call us or fill out the form on our website to find out more.
Different Soil Amendments Commonly Used In Altadena
To have a healthy lawn, you might want to consider soil amendments, which will make the ground nutrient-rich, better able to hold water, and less susceptible to soil compaction. Some of the different soil amendments commonly used in Altadena include the following:
- Gypsum: This natural soil amendment helps reduce soil compaction and increase water infiltration.
- Lime: Lime can raise the pH of acidic soils, which benefits plants that prefer more alkaline soil.
- Compost: Compost is well-known for improving soil structure, increasing water-holding capacity, and providing nutrients for healthy plant growth.
- Sulfur: If you need to lower the pH of your soils instead, sulfur can be the way to go.
- Ammonium sulfate: This fertilizer, commonly used for alkaline soils, can lower their pH and add nitrogen, which is often essential for plant growth.
Soil amendments can be a very effective lawn treatment for dry and nutrient-starved yards. Give us a call today to discover how the experienced staff at Aerations Plus has successfully turned dusty plots green and vibrant with cost-effective and practical solutions.
How To Diagnose Common Sprinkler System Problems In Altadena
While sprinkler systems are a key part of keeping the lawns in Altadena healthy, there are several types of issues that can occur when they aren’t working as they should be. Some of the ways to determine if a system isn’t working properly include:
- Low pressure: The flow from sprinkler heads should be even and steady, rather than sparse and mist-like. If the water pressure is low, that might mean issues with crushed pipes.
- Oversaturation or dry patches: If there are parts of a lawn that are either bone dry or collecting puddles, that might indicate that the set zones are not being reached.
- No water at all: Sprinkler heads can also simply get clogged from a variety of lawn debris, so if there’s no water coming from them, that might be the case.
At Aerations Plus, one of our core services is sprinkler repair, which is an absolutely essential part of keeping local lawns healthy and properly watered. If customers suspect that their sprinklers aren’t working properly, we send out one of our skilled technicians to diagnose the issue. We’ll perform a free lawn consultation and inspect sprinklers heads and make our determination. For more information on sprinkler services, call us today.
The Benefits Of Regular Lawn Fertilization In Altadena
In addition to soil amendments, lawn fertilization is another effective strategy that benefits Altadena yards. Some benefits of lawn fertilization include:
- Healthy plant growth: Fertilization adds essential nutrients to the soil, including nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Weed prevention: When plants are healthy and robust, they can better crowd out undesirable weeds.
- Strong root systems: Proper fertilization can encourage solid and deep roots, making plants healthier and better able to survive intense heat and droughts.
- Lush and green plant growth: In addition to having sturdy plants, you also want them to be vibrant and green. Fertilization can help with that.
Keep in mind that fertilizing can backfire when done incorrectly. Altadena has a small window of time when you can apply lawn fertilizers, usually in the cooler spring and fall months.
There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to lawn fertilizers, soil amendments, weed control, and more. Contact us today to get your free estimate and find out how Aerations Plus can provide better results and make your yard healthy and vibrant.
What Our Customers Are Saying
"Guys were great. Solved a problem in less than 2 hours that I've been trying to repair unsuccessfully for 2 years."